Each summer, Royal North runs RYA Sailing Courses for children aged 8 – 18. Based on the Youth Sailing Scheme, fundamentally, these courses aim to both introduce and promote the sport of sailing in a safe, enjoyable and informative way.
A key aim of Royal North in delivering these courses is to ensure participants enjoy their experience and develop their skills, rather than simply ‘ticking boxes’. At the end of each course, participants should understand the content of their course but recognise that they will continue to develop (and make mistakes) as the gain experience on the water.
The courses offered in the Youth Sailing Scheme run from:
- Level 1: Start Sailing – enjoying basic skills under relaxed tuition
- Level 2: Basic Skills – sail the dinghy after tuition without input from instructor
- Level 3 : Better Sailing – sail in any direction, rig and launch boat
- Level 4: Double Handed Sailing – crew and helm on a variety of courses.
We can take a maximum of 30 participants on each course at any level.
Courses run from 9:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday:
10 – 14 July
17 – 21 July
24 – 28 July
31 – 4 August
7 – 11 August
14 – 18 August
21 – 25 August
Buoyancy aids are available for hire for a small charge (helmets loaned free of charge) but participants do need to bring their own wetsuits and suitable footwear (e.g. trainers or wetsuit booties). Full changing and showering facilities are also available.
Lunch can be provided at a cost of £25 per week and includes a variety of meals tailored to daily activities (Soup, rolls, sandwiches, hot dogs and hot / cold drinks). Further information for parents is available in the document below:
- 3 July 9:30am - 25 Aug 2017 4:30pm
- £130 (Member,) £160 (Non-Member) £170 (Non-member + membership for remainder of year)
- Royal North of Ireland Yacht Club
- 7 Seafront Road , Cultra
- BT18 0BB
+44 2890 428 041
- More Info:
- Cadet Course